Cardio workouts are always a fun break from weight lifting. Once a week, I focus an entire workout on cardio moves to boost my lung capacity and push my heart a little further than I usually would. I’m not so much concerned with my muscles burning as I am with keeping my heart rate up. A mix of full-body, as well as isolated movements with hard work and minimal rest, makes this the best cardio workout for beginners. These are the same exercises I perform on a regular basis; the only difference between the beginner workout and mine is the exercise time is longer.
Most cardio workouts are bodyweight exercises and don’t require equipment. To get the best results from this workout, you’ll need a jump rope and a bench or a chair. Jump ropes should be part of everyone’s workout plan, anyway. Let’s get that heart rate pumping!
Best Cardio Workout for Beginners
Perform each exercise for 30 seconds. Rest for 15 seconds in between each workout. Complete four rounds, resting for one minute in between each round. Since the goal is to burn fat, be sure to move as fast as possible and keep your heart rate up. While you do your 1-minute rest, march in place lightly.
Complete this workout three times a week. Each week shave off 15 seconds from your rest in between rounds.
- Burpees: One of the best full-body cardio exercises available. Don’t do a pushup at the bottom since you’ll be doing them later on in this routine
- Bicycle: A perfect, total ab workout. Do the first half slowly to feel the burn and build stability. Finish off the second half with fast movements.
- Jump Rope: Another great full-body cardio exercise. Work on fancy footwork as you get better: jumping on a single leg, alternating legs, and maybe even crossovers.
- Prisoner Squats: These are a great bodyweight exercise to build your lower half. Keep your core tight and push off from your heels.
- Jumping Jacks: Another full-body exercise to burn fat. Be sure to jump as high as possible.
- Incline Pushups: Incline pushups are a bit easier to perform and since the goal is to burn fat, you’ll be able to do a bit more.
Smart eating is essential to balance your beginner workouts, provide recovery, and enhance your results. Try our Whole30 Meal Plan For Beginners to reshape your eating habits.
Looking for more challenging beginner workouts? Try our 7-Day Beginner’s 10-Minute Morning Workout Challenge. The morning workout boost will help burn more fat to bring results faster!