Move aside potatoes: There’s a scrumptious new side dish coming to town! Our recipe for Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini will no doubt become a staple side dish in your household for many years to come. It’s loaded with cheesy goodness that you and the kids won’t be able to pass up! That’s right; we feel confident that this veggie-rich recipe will have the kiddos asking for seconds! Plus, it’s budget-friendly and incredibly simple to prepare.
We Love the Versatility of Zucchini
Zucchini is so much more than it used to be. In the last few years, it’s taken the place of pasta in the form of zucchini noodles (aka zoodles). Zoodles help people cut down on carbs and calories while allowing them to enjoy the recipes they love. With this recipe, zucchini is now moving into potato territory. I’m sure we’ve all had scalloped potatoes before, right? Well, this cheesy scalloped zucchini is a version of that, just lower in carbohydrates!
Thanks to the dairy, each serving of this Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini dish contains 14 grams of protein and only 9 grams of carbs. When compared to classic scalloped potato recipes that usually contain 30+ grams of carbohydrates per serving, that makes this recipe way healthier! Better yet, it’s just over 100 calories per serving, making this delicious side dish a low-calorie option, too.
How to Prepare this Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini
As the oven preheats, add all the ingredients (except the cheddar cheese and zucchini) into a mixing bowl. Then, place a single layer of sliced zucchini circles into a casserole dish after you’ve coated it in nonstick cooking spray. Put some of the cottage cheese mixture on top of the zucchini and sprinkle cheddar cheese on top. Create alternate layers of zucchini, cottage cheese mixture, and shredded cheese until you’ve used all of your ingredients. Make sure you end with the shredded cheese on top!
Spray a sheet of foil with nonstick spray to keep the cheese from getting stuck to the foil. Cover the casserole dish with the sprayed side down and bake the cheesy scalloped zucchini for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and return it to the oven for another 15 minutes or so, until it’s browned, bubbly, and delicious-looking!
Entrees that Pair Well with this Side Dish
While this recipe goes well with any lean protein like grilled chicken, fish, steaks, or burgers, you can also try it with one of these flavorful recipes.
- Easy Skillet Cilantro Lime Chicken
- Grilled Salmon Kebabs
- Slow Cooker Greek Lemon Chicken
- 3-Ingredient Tender Broiled Salmon
Cheesy Scalloped Zucchini
- 1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons thyme leaves (fresh), chopped
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 medium zucchini cut into 1/4 inch circles
- 1 cup fat-free cheddar cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray an set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients except for the cheddar cheese and zucchini, mix well.
- Place a single layer of zucchini in the bottom of the casserole dish. Top with the cottage cheese mixture (about 1/2 to 3/4 cup) and sprinkle with a little of the cheddar cheese. Repeat, ending with the cheddar cheese, until all ingredients are used.
- Spray a sheet of foil with non stick spray and cover the zucchini (sprayed side down). Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the cover and return to the oven and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until browned and bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Add sliced zucchini to a sieve or strainer and place over a bowl.
- Spinkle zucchini slices with 1 teaspoon salt and toss zucchini.
- Place a plate or bowl on top of zucchini to help with the process.
- Allow zucchini to set for 30 minutes, rinse, pat dry, and continue with recipe instructions.
- Discard liquid.
If you enjoyed this recipe, or it looks like one that you definitely want to try, consider checking out these side dishes too:
- Cauliflower-Parsnip Puree
- Quick and Easy Roasted Veggie Kebabs
- Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
- Easy Zucchini Ravioli