Pancakes have been a breakfast staple in our homes for years, and for a good reason! They’re easy to make and absolutely delicious. As if traditional pancakes weren’t tasty enough, we’ve created a new recipe that will blow your mind! These Pina Colada Pancakes with Rum Syrup will transport your taste buds to the islands without leaving your kitchen. Don’t believe us? Just try them for yourself!
When Cocktails and Pancakes Collide
While these fruity pancakes are kid-friendly, it’s important to note that the delightful rum syrup is meant for adults only. The kiddos will still go crazy over pineapple-infused flapjacks, and they taste just as yummy with regular maple syrup. You can also leave the rum out of the recipe if you’re avoiding alcohol.
These Pina Colada Pancakes are So Easy to Make
Truth be told, these pancakes are no more difficult to make than the classic version. They just require a couple more ingredients! To make the batter, you’ll combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla in a mixing bowl. Once the batter is prepared, cook these pancakes as you normally would with one exception. Before you flip the pancakes, sprinkle a little bit of crushed pineapple on top of each flapjack so it can soak into the batter.
Coconut Rum Syrup Elevates the Dish
While your pancakes are cooking to perfection, prepare the decadent, adult-only syrup. In a separate saucepan, combine the coconut milk, maple syrup, and rum. The syrup only needs to simmer for about three minutes. Once it’s thickened and your pancakes are a beautiful golden brown, it’s time to plate this island-inspired breakfast!
Pour the coconut syrup over each serving of pancakes, and feel free to top them with a little extra pineapple if you have it. If you ask me, the more fruit the better!
A Decadent, Low-Calorie Breakfast Option
As if this recipe isn’t tempting enough already, this rich breakfast contains fewer than 400 calories per serving! There’s something wonderful about indulging in a sweet, satisfying plate of pancakes without having to worry about breaking the calorie bank!
Pina Colada Pancakes with Rum Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can of pineapple crushed, drained
- 1 cup coconut milk canned
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons rum (or 2 teaspoons rum extract)
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, brown sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
- Heat a skillet on medium high heat and spray with non stick spray. Once hot, pour about 1/3 cup of batter onto the hot pan. Sprinkle about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the crushed pineapple onto the batter. After bubbles form and pop, flip the pancake. Continue to cook until second side is browned. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Meanwhile, combine the coconut milk, maple syrup, and rum in a sauce pan. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 3 minutes or just until the mixture beings to thicken, stir often.
- Pour the coconut syrup over top of the pancakes. If crushed pineapple remains, spoon over top. Serve hot.
If you enjoyed this decadent breakfast, we think you’ll also want to try these rich options:
- Romantic Chocolate Raspberry Pancakes
- Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes
- How to Make Coconut Pineapple Pancakes
- Pumpkin Pie Pancakes
- Cinnamon Bun Pancakes
Want more scrumptious recipes like these Pina Colada Pancakes with Rum Syrup? If so, be sure to follow us on Pinterest!