Autumn gives you permission to enjoy all things pumpkin. Heck, pumpkin-flavored anything tastes great all year long! However, when the savory squash hits its peak season, anything it touches tastes downright delicious. Here at SkinnyMs., we’ve put a fall-flavored spin on an American classic. With its moist consistency and bold flavor, cornbread makes the ultimate comfort dish, especially when smothered with rich, creamy butter. Unfortunately, the beloved bread recipe doesn’t have the best reputation when it comes to nutrition. Lucky for you, we’re hooking you up with a lightened-up version with a seasonal twist.
Our recipe calls for clean ingredients your body will appreciate, such as whole-wheat flour, coconut sugar, pumpkin puree, and Greek yogurt. The result? Moist, sunset-colored muffins baked to crispy perfection. And to bump up the flavor factor a few notches, pair these beauties with our drool-worthy butter, sweetened with a drizzle of honey and a dash of cinnamon. Fall isn’t complete without these indulgent, melt-in-your-mouth cornbread muffins!
Perfectly stacked squares of golden deliciousness will bring comfort and delight to holiday parties or family gatherings.
Forget dry, crumbly cornbread! In this recipe, pumpkin puree adds moistness to their texture, keeping those pesky crumbs at bay.
Swap out your pre-meal bread and butter for these savory delights. Besides making an indulgent appetizer, this cornbread recipe also pairs wonderfully with warm soups or chilies.
And when complete with a drizzle of honey and dash of cinnamon, it makes for a savory dessert!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 square of cornbread, 1 teaspoon butter | Calories: 391 | Total Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 79mg | Sodium: 221mg | Carbohydrates: 46g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Protein: 7g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 16
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 8 x 8 inch casserole dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together the sugar, oil, pumpkin, Greek yogurt, and eggs until well blended. Pour mixture into the flour mixture then fold with a rubber spatula just until combined.
- Spread the batter in an even layer into the prepared baking dish. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 - 30 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack then cut into squares. Serve with whipped honey butter.
- In a mixing bowl (or using a stand mixer) whip butter with an electric hand mixer until smooth and light in color Add in honey and cinnamon and mix on low speed until combined, then increase to high speed and whip until light and fluffy, about 2 - 3 minutes.