Fall is here, meaning it’s time for all things orange: pumpkin, squash, and of course, sweet potatoes. And while pumpkin spice may steal the show this season, we think sweet potatoes are the real heroes of fall. Naturally sweet, these veggies make a healthy side taste like dessert. These Roasted Apple Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes combine the best flavors fall has to offer, so if you’re looking for a side that will send everyone back for seconds this year, look no further. Warm roasted apples and cinnamon make this dish fragrant and flavorful, while sweet potatoes complete the hearty, home-cooked side dish. Meanwhile, a touch of pure maple syrup adds yet another classic fall flavor to this can’t-miss side. Pair it with a savory entree, like our Herb Rubbed Turkey, to really bring out the best in this dish. (Or go ahead and have some for dessert, we won’t tell!)
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 126 | Total Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 31mg | Carbohydrates: 25g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 13g | Protein: 1g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced medium
- 2 large green apples (such as Granny Smith), diced medium
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, apples, cinnamon, and olive oil. Toss well to coat the apples and potatoes in the oil and cinnamon. Spread in an even layer on a large baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until apples and potatoes are tender. Remove from oven and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve hot.